Potomac Dental Centre cares about your oral health. During your regular exams, our dentists will perform an oral cancer screening to check for any abnormalities to protect your oral health.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat (pharynx), sinuses, and hard and soft palate. While oral cancer can usually be successfully treated when detected early, most cases of oral cancer are not detected until they have progressed into a more serious, advanced stage that is much more difficult to treat. In fact, oral cancer can be life-threatening.
At Potomac Dental Centre, we are dedicated to doing all we can to detect and treat oral cancers and other abnormalities at the earliest possible stage. During your routine dental cleanings and exams at our office, our dentist and hygienists will perform an oral cancer screening to check for the signs of oral cancer.
The following are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- A persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat.
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth.
- A persistent or lasting sore on the face, neck, or mouth that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks.
- Unexplained loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth.
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other parts of the mouth.
- Red, white, or speckled red-and-white patches in the mouth.
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing.