Our dentists may recommend a nightguard if you are experiencing symptoms of bruxism (teeth grinding), such as tooth wear, an aching jaw, or migraines. A night guard is a special type of mouthguard that is used to treat bruxism, or teeth grinding and clenching. A custom-made nightguard fits your smile and provides a stable cushion for your teeth and jaws to prevent further damage and preserve your teeth.
If our team suspects that you suffer from bruxism, we may recommend a nightguard to protect your teeth from damage and prevent teeth from grinding while you sleep. Many people who suffer from bruxism are unaware of the condition because it occurs while they sleep. Common signs of nighttime teeth clenching and grinding include:
- Chronic jaw pain, facial pain, and ear pain.
- Waking up with a tired or tight feeling in the jaw.
- Frequent tension headaches and migraines.
- Excessive tooth wear, leading to chipped, flattened, cracked, or very worn teeth.
- Extremely worn tooth enamel, exposing the inner layers of the tooth.
- Indentations on the side of the tongue.
- Increased tooth sensitivity.